Monday, December 19, 2011

6 days until Christmas

I'm not a "crafts" oriented person. Many people love creating craft projects and some of those are fine artists as well. When I was younger I spent years doing cross stitch, needlepoint, sewing, quilting, stenciling and cutting out ducks and other animals from old barn wood.

My eyes aren't what they used to be so the needlework is a thing of the past. Even so, I don't read crafts blogs or magazines. The projects don't speak to me. That is, until I came across the blog HowAboutOrange and directions for making these beautiful snowflakes.

I have a tradition with several friends where we exchange Christmas ornaments instead of gifts. They don't cost a lot and every year when we put up our tree I relive the memories we share. So I decided to give it a go and began the process of making two lacy snowflakes.

I know, there are only six days left before Christmas. Believe me, I know. The pressure is on. After an hour into the project, I am nowhere near to completing the first one. Frustration is setting in and I'm questioning whether or not my best friend would really, really, love one.

All of this got me thinking about art and art snobs. You know the ones: it isn't "real" art unless it's a painting done in oils; "my four-year-old could make that abstract painting;" acrylics are plastic and not for professional artists; apples are either red or green but never purple; etc.

I admire people who enjoy crafts. It takes a lot of discipline and patience to do them. My temperament is more spontaneous and less planned out. Now I'm questioning my decision to make these snowflakes. Now, if only I knew someone who would like to make them for me!

Happy painting,

Susan L Stewart



No comments:

Post a Comment